You want to know the best homemade whipped cream without heavy cream recipe. Is that correct? If so, then be prepared to ditch heavy cream. A dairy product that’s not so easily available at some local supermarket stores. But that doesn’t mean you cannot devour the deliciousness and sweetness of homemade whipped cream.
The best alternative is to transform milk into the creamy texture. And without using any heavy cream! That does sound crazy, doesn’t it? But it’s quite possible. You whip the milk to make it as thick as you like. And this consistency has the ability to form stiff peaks with a great shape.
But most importantly, the best part about it all is that milk is widely available in all supermarkets. Unlike heavy cream! So are you ready to find out the best homemade whipped cream without heavy cream recipe?
Best Homemade Whipped Cream without Heavy Cream Recipe
You can follow the instructions below. And feel free to use a whipped cream dispenser with this homemade recipe.
So here’s how to make whipped cream with milk.
Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- Powdered gelatin (unflavored) (2 teaspoons)
- Milk (full fat, cold) (1 cup)
- Milk (full fat, cold) (1/4 cup)
- Confectioners’ sugar (2 tablespoons)
Whipped Cream Recipe:
- Add the less amount of milk into a small sized bowl.
- Then bring in the gelatin and let the mixture sit for at least five minutes. During this time, it forms a sponge.
- Once the blend turns spongy, place the bowl in your microwave. Turn the whole thing into liquid. Then take it out and set it aside to cool for a bit.
- Now it’s time to use the other cup of cold milk. Pour it in a large sized bowl this time. Before adding confectioners’ sugar. Then stir the mixture thoroughly.
- The next step is to bring both the prepared mixtures together in that large bowl. Whisk them together. And then place the bowl in your refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- After that, use your electric mixer to whisk up all the contents of the bowl. The goal is to achieve a very thick consistency. It should double in volume. So while you’re whisking, you’ll notice the cream getting larger in size.
- Refrigerate it once again. And that’s about it!
Two important things that I would like to add here:
- Consume this cream within two days.
- And the milk that you use for preparation should be cold before whipping.
And if you have any other questions regarding homemade whipped cream, I hope you find the answers below.
Frequently Asked Questions about Homemade Whipped Cream
Now that you know how to make whipped cream from scratch, it’s time to address some other important concerns. These are associated with both whipped cream with and without heavy cream recipes.
- What type of dairy is best for making whipped cream?
Any cream that has a milk fat content of over 30 percent tends to whip up perfectly well. Just keep in mind that higher fat equals denser foam. And lesser time to turn into whipped cream.
At the time of buying whipping cream, look for heavy cream. This particular dairy product offers 38-40 percent milk fat. That means it whips up better than light cream. The latter contains only 30-36 percent milk fat.
- Should I use whole or half-and-half milk for making whipped cream?
You should know that it’s the fat content present in the cream that’s responsible for holding the partially solid structure. Don’t expect whole or half-and-half milk to do that job. At least not as better as whipping cream. However, you can froth the milk even though it might not give you the same results.
- What’s the best ingredient for sweetening whipped cream?
You can opt for granulated sugar. Or superfine sugar, which is not so easily available. But if you can get your hands on it, then go for it. That’s because superfine sugar dissolves faster.
Another great alternative is confectioners’ sugar. Also known as powdered sugar. This particular ingredient contains cornstarch. And that prevents the cream from becoming watery during resting time.
You can also try sweeteners in liquid forms like maple syrup, honey, or agave syrup.
- How much well in advance should I prepare whipped cream?
A freshly prepared batch of homemade whipped cream holds only for an hour in your refrigerator. After which it begins to deflate plus become watery.
- How to increase the lifespan of whipped cream?
If you’re using a cup of heavy or light cream, add 1/4 cup of sour cream. For every cup of the former, add 1/4 cup of the latter. That’s the trick!
You can also include Greek yogurt into the mix at the time of soft peak formation. The extra acid and fat present in the yogurt helps in maintaining the taste and texture of whipped cream for longer.
That’s all there is to know about the best homemade whipped cream without heavy cream recipe. So the next time you’re out of heavy cream or the dairy product is not available, you know what to do.
Is there any other method that you know works best without the use of heavy cream? Please share your technique with us here. It’s whipped cream, after all. Desserts would be incomplete without it.